POP3 settings for dummies?

Chat about VFEmail.net feature requests here!

Moderators: Havokmon, linkchaser

jeffreywills

POP3 settings for dummies?

Post by jeffreywills » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:52 pm

Since there is a board specifically for requests, I thought I'd make a humble suggestion...

Every time I've had to tweak server settings or change my email client (or reinstall), I've had to start from scratch trying to figure out port numbers, exact addresses and so forth. I used to be pretty good at all of this, but every time I open my advanced settings window, it looks different. I'm sure this is because technology changes (probably for the better) but I've gotten to a point where I just want to know what to type and where to type it.

Way back when it was laid out a bit clearer on the site... if this is your client, go here, click here, type this, etc.... I don't think a full tutorial with pictures is necessary, but perhaps something a bit clearer than what there is now? Being able to use POP3 is what drew me to vfemail in the first place.

Knowing my luck, there probably is something on here already and I'm missing it, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

Havokmon
Site Admin

Re: POP3 settings for dummies?

Post by Havokmon » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:43 am

Does this help?

http://www.vfemail.net/faq.php#a-one

It's not the first FAQ entry, but it's the first entry in the second group of questions...

I can add 'What are the port numbers' or other text a little more descriptive of the answer..
VFEmail.net Admin

jeffreywills

Post by jeffreywills » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:33 am

Rick, that is what I was thinking of! I'm not sure why I didn't see it the last few times I looked.

Mainly what I felt like I had figure out on my own was port numbers, information on SSL, etc. etc. I also remember that when I upgraded my subscription a while ago I was using different port numbers, and I'm not positive that I haven't gone back to using the free ones.

I should probably upgrade again, but that is a whole other matter.

My email is working fine right now so it is of no urgency (or even need) for me right now, but since I was at the board I figured I'd throw that out there. It took me a while to figure it out, and I figured the chances were decent that some others were having similar problems.

Havokmon
Site Admin

Post by Havokmon » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:41 am

The free and paid IPs and port numbers are all the same now. For SMTP, once you authenticate you are redirected to the correct queue. In the past, the queues were hardcoded by IP.

Thanks for your support!

Rick
VFEmail.net Admin

jeffreywills

Post by jeffreywills » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:33 pm

Ah, well that certainly makes it a lot less confusing! Maybe it isn't as necessary that it is laid out differently since I was looking for information that isn't there. :wink: