best option for own domain hosting?

Chat about VFEmail.net feature requests here!

Moderators: Havokmon, linkchaser

erp6

best option for own domain hosting?

Post by erp6 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:07 am

I am trying to figure out the best option for my humble needs - just 1 domain, to have own email for a project. I am a happy VFEmail long-time (in fact, one of the first) customer.. Various info in FAQ, account grid etc. is either contradictory/convoluted or telling half of the story...
2 questions:
1. which option I should choose
2. what my ultimate cost is.

On #1, am I correct assuming Silver account option refers only to hosting NameSurname.com domain? Hence not appropriate for my needs. So, is Gold account my solution?
On #2, FAQ mentions the need to arrange DNS maintenance ( e.g. EasyDNS) (on top of buying a domain)... Is that still the case? If yes, please treat it as client request - I humbly believe it's no longer competitive while other providers will happily do DNS maintenance for you (not to mention even register a domain for complete piece of mind, but that's a separate issue I leave alone here). FAQ also mentions a $2 password reset fee and expanded account grid mentions $15 one-time setup fee for all domains... That all is not just confusing, uncompetitive and not really nice for a client to hide all various fees from tucked somewhere, BUT also I would humbly think VFemail needs to be transparent and list all fees in one place. Not to mention, that for a nice $15 domain setup fee you mention you may actually go ahead and register that domain for your customer.

Finally, are there any other fees I'm not aware of - just need to see what the ultimate cost for a typical domain hosting solution would be.
Thanks - I look forward to hearing from you, Rick

Havokmon
Site Admin

Re: best option for own domain hosting?

Post by Havokmon » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:23 am

erp6 wrote:I am trying to figure out the best option for my humble needs - just 1 domain, to have own email for a project. I am a happy VFEmail long-time (in fact, one of the first) customer.. Various info in FAQ, account grid etc. is either contradictory/convoluted or telling half of the story...
2 questions:
1. which option I should choose
2. what my ultimate cost is.

On #1, am I correct assuming Silver account option refers only to hosting NameSurname.com domain?
That's correct. Anything sent to 'anyuser@namesurname.com' will be delivered to the 'owner' vfemail.net Inbox. That's the 'Virtual Domain' part.
erp6 wrote: Hence not appropriate for my needs. So, is Gold account my solution?
Well, not entirely true. The Gold account allows individual accounts to be created under the domain - that's the 'Personal domain' part. If he has no use for completely separate accounts (say, one for him, one for you, one for an accountant, etc), then Silver will be fine.
erp6 wrote: On #2, FAQ mentions the need to arrange DNS maintenance ( e.g. EasyDNS) (on top of buying a domain)... Is that still the case? If yes, please treat it as client request - I humbly believe it's no longer competitive while other providers will happily do DNS maintenance for you (not to mention even register a domain for complete piece of mind, but that's a separate issue I leave alone here). FAQ also mentions a $2 password reset fee and expanded account grid mentions $15 one-time setup fee for all domains... That all is not just confusing, uncompetitive and not really nice for a client to hide all various fees from tucked somewhere, BUT also I would humbly think VFemail needs to be transparent and list all fees in one place. Not to mention, that for a nice $15 domain setup fee you mention you may actually go ahead and register that domain for your customer.
The $2 password reset is rarely needed. If you have set up your account with a valid address, then a new password can be sent to that account via the Password Reset form.
The $15 domain setup fee is for 'Pure' domain hosting, and isn't incurred when you create the domain yourself via your VFEmail.net account. At some point in the future registration and DNS may be integrated, but as VFEmail does not do DNS Hosting, and is not an approved registrar it is not currently an option. Just to do DNS, we would need to implement an entire control panel, because you will likely want a website somewhere too.
VFEmail specializes in Email, and at this point, that's all VFEmail does.
erp6 wrote: Finally, are there any other fees I'm not aware of - just need to see what the ultimate cost for a typical domain hosting solution would be.
Thanks - I look forward to hearing from you, Rick
Basically, you incur the yearly cost of the domain name itself (via EasyDNS or GoDaddy or whathaveyou), in addition to the VFEmail Silver/Gold/Platinum account.
VFEmail.net Admin

erp6

Re: best option for own domain hosting?

Post by erp6 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:40 am

Many thanks, it's all much clearer now.

<"wishlist"/to-do for VFEmail> I'd still favor lifting restrictions on Silver account to register 1 anynamedomain.com with up to 5 users; allow up to 3 anynamedomain.com for up to 10 users for Gold account; adjust Platinum account allowance upwards similarly.. Remove whole definition of "vanity domain".
Perhaps adjust storage quotas for Silver/Gold/Platinum accounts upwards a little bit.
Then, you'd have a genuine competitive enticing offer.