vf Quick Message

Chat about VFEmail.net feature requests here!

Moderators: Havokmon, linkchaser

tbint62

vf Quick Message

Post by tbint62 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:24 pm

Hello vf forum
Just wanted to say hello. I lurk forums to find answers to issues I may have. So please don't shoot me if I don't post that often.
I am a vfemail user, windows, IE, OE, Debian, firefox, thunderbird.

I find vfemail very useful, and dependable. Just wanted to see if a vf quick message (IM) was ever would be a possibility?

Havokmon
Site Admin

Re: vf Quick Message

Post by Havokmon » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:31 am

Hi,

Who would you want to send an IM to? I have investigated installing a Jabber server, which would allow you to IM on the jabber network with your existing VFEmail credentials, but it hasn't seemed to be something that user's are looking for.

Am I wrong?

Rick
VFEmail.net Admin

tbint62

Post by tbint62 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:09 pm

I have been searching myself. their is always msn or yahoo, but a person has to use a email address. seems to me spam rolls in from msn, hotmail. not shore about yahoo. I thought jabber was a business message network. But if it would work for personal, why not. I geuss I just wanted to get away from the masses.

I was interested in a friends list (on/off line), a client, if not able to do threw email client. (OE)

But I have done a few tests with incoming and outgoing time through vf, not bad at all. I sent threw a gmail and I think it was about 30 seconds and vf (pop) OE notification (sound) went off. About the same for send also. So vfemail will do!! But!

Take a look at this if you get some time http://www.avvenu.com. I would pay for a life account with vf to access my folders remotely. This is one I have found without java. (java still seems to slow my PC down or response time, But I do know it is getting better)

I was going to put a link to vf on the ozarkup domain if thats OK. I don't think I get a lot of traffic yet. Maybe vf may bring me some.

Havokmon
Site Admin

Post by Havokmon » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:32 am

tbint62 wrote:I have been searching myself. their is always msn or yahoo, but a person has to use a email address. seems to me spam rolls in from msn, hotmail. not shore about yahoo. I thought jabber was a business message network. But if it would work for personal, why not. I geuss I just wanted to get away from the masses.

I was interested in a friends list (on/off line), a client, if not able to do threw email client. (OE)
Actually the online/offline stuff is what initially brought me to looking into an IM interface - otherwise you're limited just seeing fellow VFEmail.Net users. Although now that I think about it, if all you want is IM signon status, it's probably not too difficult to do it the same way this forum does it. Integration then becomes the issue.
tbint62 wrote: But I have done a few tests with incoming and outgoing time through vf, not bad at all. I sent threw a gmail and I think it was about 30 seconds and vf (pop) OE notification (sound) went off. About the same for send also. So vfemail will do!! But!

Take a look at this if you get some time http://www.avvenu.com. I would pay for a life account with vf to access my folders remotely. This is one I have found without java. (java still seems to slow my PC down or response time, But I do know it is getting better)
The platinum account allows you to to store your files here via FTP - but that's not what I'd consider file-sharing. IMHO, there'd have to come up with some sort of domain name map to a 'public' area on your ftp. Say ftp-tbint62.vfemail.net would point to you ftp /public folder

It's not impossible - but now bandwidth is an issue. Email is typically small and doesn't use much. FTP for archival purposes isn't a big deal. File sharing is something all together different.
tbint62 wrote:
I was going to put a link to vf on the ozarkup domain if thats OK. I don't think I get a lot of traffic yet. Maybe vf may bring me some.
I don't think it would increase your traffic to http://www.ozarkup.com (assuming that's what it is), but you're welcome to link to whatever you'd like, and hopefully this will get you something :)
VFEmail.net Admin

tbint62

Post by tbint62 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:59 pm

Havokmon
Actually the online/offline stuff is what initially brought me to looking into an IM interface - otherwise you're limited just seeing fellow VFEmail.Net users. Although now that I think about it, if all you want is IM signon status, it's probably not too difficult to do it the same way this forum does it. Integration then becomes the issue.

tbint62
you mean we would not see if a msn or AOL user on/offline. it would be a virus free p2p network.

Havokmon
It's not impossible - but now bandwidth is an issue. Email is typically small and doesn't use much. FTP for archival purposes isn't a big deal. File sharing is something all together different.

tbint62
That avvenu is just a way to connect to my pc at home. the bandwith is then turned over to my home internet conection and the remote connection I am at. I think!! at least thats what I thought. I did not have to upload files to their server. But I see your point thier server has to be carring the bandwith.

you know I told my wife to get a vfemail address. she complained about the 14.95. but she complaines all the time about spam and down time on hot mail. think I may get her one.

Havokmon
Site Admin

Post by Havokmon » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:06 am

I think it may be possible to see who's online/offline with ICQ/MSN/etc - the forum provides that function.
A 'virus free p2p network' sounds enticing, but p2p pretty much makes that impossible. There's no middleman to ensure files are scanned (not to mention virus definitions are reactive, and not proactive).

Thanks for your support! I'll be installing a new back end storage server and upgrading the disk quotas soon! :)
VFEmail.net Admin