LDAP to synchronize addressbook

Chat about VFEmail.net feature requests here!

Moderators: Havokmon, linkchaser

Post Reply
soromak
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:20 am

LDAP to synchronize addressbook

Post by soromak » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:23 am

Hello,
is it possible to have LDAP to synchronize addressbook between Horde and desktop client? (read and write support)

thanks,

soromak

User avatar
Havokmon
Site Admin
Posts: 1547
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:17 am
Location: WI
Contact:

Re: LDAP to synchronize addressbook

Post by Havokmon » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:00 am

Not with LDAP, but Horde (the webmail system) uses SyncML to provide that sort of synchronization.

http://wiki.horde.org/SyncHowTo

Please post any successes, I haven't had a chance to really try it out.

Rick
VFEmail.net Admin

soromak
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:20 am

Re: LDAP to synchronize addressbook

Post by soromak » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:18 am

Havokmon wrote:Not with LDAP, but Horde (the webmail system) uses SyncML to provide that sort of synchronization.

http://wiki.horde.org/SyncHowTo

Please post any successes, I haven't had a chance to really try it out.

Rick
That feature is still in beta and requires funambol server, Funambol plugin to Thunderbird and so on.
Why to create an external account at funambol while this sync can be easily done via LDAP?
I see, I should address my feature request more clearly - request LDAP addressbook support. It's not offered by many companies but Fastmail and Tuffmail already have it.

User avatar
Havokmon
Site Admin
Posts: 1547
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:17 am
Location: WI
Contact:

Re: LDAP to synchronize addressbook

Post by Havokmon » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:09 pm

soromak wrote:
Havokmon wrote:Not with LDAP, but Horde (the webmail system) uses SyncML to provide that sort of synchronization.

http://wiki.horde.org/SyncHowTo

Please post any successes, I haven't had a chance to really try it out.

Rick
That feature is still in beta and requires funambol server, Funambol plugin to Thunderbird and so on.
Why to create an external account at funambol while this sync can be easily done via LDAP?
I see, I should address my feature request more clearly - request LDAP addressbook support. It's not offered by many companies but Fastmail and Tuffmail already have it.
They probably use an LDAP backend for the addressbook. VFEmail does not. Could you tell me how you would use LDAP in a write manner? I honestly haven't used it since the 90s (for non-NDS authentication with NDS), but 'write' support was quite lacking overall and it didn't appear that anyone was ever going to support that. Plus the clients that allowed LDAP lookups never cached anything. So when you're offline, you'd have no addressbook. I assume that has been resolved, or you wouldn't be asking - but I'd like to hear how you're using it and with what clients.

Thanks,
Rick
VFEmail.net Admin

soromak
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:20 am

Re: LDAP to synchronize addressbook

Post by soromak » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:31 am

I use LDAP addressbook with my FM account. It is a good tool to sync my Thunderbird at home and in my office. Having that I also have the most updated version of contacts list when using webmail on the move. I use to LDAP backends to access contact list - one as I said is FM and the other one is my company LDAP. Quite convenient solution. I can have all my contacts offline with TB with one additional click.

soromak
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:20 am

Re: LDAP to synchronize addressbook

Post by soromak » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:00 am

Rick, let me refresh that sync topic a little bit. You have suggested using SyncML with Horde....since it was replaced by Funambol (and there are Thunderbird and Outlook plugins, it is also working for many mobile devices), do you have any plans to deploy Funambol server to run it together with Horde to enable cross-platform synchronisation?

User avatar
Havokmon
Site Admin
Posts: 1547
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:17 am
Location: WI
Contact:

Re: LDAP to synchronize addressbook

Post by Havokmon » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:32 am

soromak wrote:Rick, let me refresh that sync topic a little bit. You have suggested using SyncML with Horde....since it was replaced by Funambol (and there are Thunderbird and Outlook plugins, it is also working for many mobile devices), do you have any plans to deploy Funambol server to run it together with Horde to enable cross-platform synchronisation?
I haven't revisited the SyncML/Funambol topic, but I have looked back into LDAP. If LDAP is acceptable, I can work on adding a second addressbook that would be an LDAP addressbook.

Rick
VFEmail.net Admin

soromak
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:20 am

Re: LDAP to synchronize addressbook

Post by soromak » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:47 am

I am looking for 2-way possibilty of contacts synchronization. I think that the major desktop e-mail clients don't offer LDAP addressbook write mode yet. I currently use Gmail to sync my contacts between different PCs and it works ok.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests